Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

If you have a long-term illness, or you are long-term disabled, you could be entitled to a new benefit called the Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

The title ‘Personal Independence Payments’ provides a clue as to the thinking of the UK Government. PIP is replacing the long-standing Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

So, let’s take a closer look:

PIP will give additional help if you are a long term health sufferer or if you are disabled. It is not specific to any impairment and is assessed entirely on how your condition affects you.

For instance, two people can be suffering from the same disablement condition but end up getting different rates of PIP. It would depend on how the particular disablement affects you personally.

So for example, there is no set rate for the loss of a right leg. The rate is set according to how the loss affects you personally.

If you are 16 or older and have not reached the State Pension age you could get between £23.60 and £151.40 a week.

Assessments for Personal Independence Payment

You will need an initial assessment to see how much your condition affects you. Following that, there will be follow-up assessments to ensure you are getting the right level of support.

This could either mean a REDUCTION or and INCREASE – depending upon the results of the follow up PIP assessment.

Your assessment will be carried out by an Independent Healthcare Professional and it could involve a face to face meeting. You will be given a ‘score’ by the assessor and then the DWP will make a decision as to how much you are entitled to based upon that score.

How does that work?

The assessment will determine how you are ‘affected’ by your illness or disability. That will be the basis of any awarded payments you receive.

It is quite possible for two people with the same illness or disability to be awarded different levels of payments. It would depend entirely on how that particular person is affected by it.

So, the illness or the disability is not actually ‘assessed’. The award is based upon how your illness or disability affects you personally!

It is not a one-off assessment. There will be subsequent assessment to see how you are coping and if your situation changes.

If you have a carer, they may be entitled to Carers Allowance. This will be dependent upon the level of care and NOT the severity of any condition.

Personal Independent Payment Replaces DLA

All NEW claimants must claim for PIP and not DLA – with the exception of children under age 16. DLA is ending for people who were born after the 8th of April 1948.

Components for PIP

The total payment is made of two separate components – being the ‘Daily Living Component’ and the ‘Mobility Component’. Both components will have a ‘Standard’ and an ‘Enhanced’ payment rate.

Each component depends upon the needs created by your condition. It is possible that you could get both – or only one of the components.

You are entitled to the Enhanced Daily Living Component if you are terminally ill and not expected to live beyond six (6) months.

The rate of the Mobility Component will be based entirely on your own circumstances and needs.

Note: There will be an assessment to decide the level of help (financial) you will need.

Payments will be made into your account (e.g. bank or savings) as with almost all other benefits, grants, and allowances.

Existing DLA Claimants

Depending on the area you live, your ‘invitation’ to apply for PIP is likely to depend on whether:

  • Your circumstances change (e.g. your condition gets better or worse).
  • Your existing claim for DLA is due to finish.

You will then probably be invited to Claim for Personal Independence Payment. You will still get your existing DLA payments for a minimum of 28 days afterward even if the decision on PIP goes against you.

But, if you do not apply when invited, then your DLA payments could cease.

Subscribe to The UK Rules YouTube channel for more help guides and videos.
Related Guide: The UK Rules website (or GOV.UK) has further advice and information about the process for claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and how much you can get.