Some grants are ideal for families with children and for people who are struggling to make ends meet because of a low income. Thanks to the Government, charities, and some of the bigger companies, there are grant funds available to help.

It may surprise you, but the value of grants, loans, and tax credits that go unclaimed soars to the millions each year. Use this help guide to check what kind of grant funding is available for you.

What Exactly is a Grant?

In simple terms, a grant will be money or some kind of a voucher. In most cases, grants are free and contribute towards the cost of buying something. They may not cover the entire cost of the item – meaning the recipient may need to meet the shortfall.

Note: The purpose of grants is to encourage people to act on something or to buy an item they would otherwise be unlikely to consider. It may NOT be the cheapest way to get the deal. Always check if it is cheaper elsewhere.

Boiler Grants

A Boiler Grant could provide you with a free, or a subsidised, replacement boiler (made available through ECO). The Government scheme helps low-income households get better access to home efficiency improvements.

You would need to meet the eligibility related to the welfare system and your current boiler must be at least five (5) years old (not condensing).

Note: The UK Rules website (or GOV.UK) has more information about the ECO scheme funded through the ‘Affordable Warmth Obligation‘.

Childcare Grant

The UK Government makes Childcare Grants available to help with the cost of child care while parents study. The Childcare Grant is for full-time higher education students who have children under the age of 15.

If you get the Childcare Grant you do not have to pay it back. The money is paid on top of any other student finance. Thus, to apply for a Childcare Grant you must already qualify for student finance.

Note: The process differs for continuing students. Youngsters with special educational needs (SEN) would still qualify until they reach seventeen years old.

Disabled Facilities Grant

Some Local Authorities offer the Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. It can help to cover the cost of making essential improvements to your home.

Hence, people with disabilities can continue to live in their own homes. But a DFG is usually based on the recommendation of an occupational therapist.

Note: The UK Rules website (or GOV.UK) has further information about the Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) and what it covers.

Energy Grants

The GOV.UK website explains how to find energy grants and highlights some ways to save energy in your home. See if you can make your home greener (improve energy efficiency) and reduce your energy bills, by:

  • Draught-proofing windows and doors
  • Installing double glazing
  • Insulating your loft and cavity walls
  • Upgrading your boiler
  • Using alternative sources of energy, such as solar power

Note: The Energy Efficiency Calculator offers personalised advice (through a postcode search) about things you can do to cut your energy bills.

Green Homes Grant

The Green Homes Grant is a scheme whereby homeowners and residential landlords can reduce the cost of installing household energy efficient improvements (up to £10,000).

Typical improvements include, installing a low carbon heat system (to lower carbon dioxide emissions) and adding solid wall insulation (to reduce energy use).

Note: The UK Rules website (or GOV.UK) has further information about the Green Homes Grant scheme and how to apply for the redeemable vouchers.

Sure Sure Start Maternity Grant

The Sure Start Maternity Grant 2020 is a one-off payment of £500 for expectant moms to help them meet the costs of having a baby.

Sure Start Maternity Grant

In most cases, you can get the Sure Start pregnancy grant if (both):

  • It will be your first child – or it will be a multiple birth (e.g. twins) and you already have children.
  • Either the mother (or partner) is already getting one of the qualifying benefits.

Note: The Sure Start Maternity Grant does affect other benefits or tax credits and it does not need to be paid back to the Government. You should apply for a Pregnancy and Baby Payment grant instead if you live in Scotland.