In most cases, you will have certain rights to benefits and allowances if you have a disability. Among the main allowances available for disabled people are the Attendance Allowance and the Carers Allowance.

Almost all of the weekly payments are tax free and not affected by any savings or other income sources that you might have.

You may need a medical examination or a simple assessment before you get the welfare allowances you have entitlement for. It will depend on the nature of the claim.

In fact, the nature of a disability can be physical or mental. So, it is possible for two individual claimants to get the same rate of benefits allowance even though one might have mental problems and the other has a physical disability.

Note: An assessment is based upon what the claimant can or cannot do for themselves in a ‘normal’ manner.

Attendance Allowance

Financial help is available for people with a severe disability who need someone to help take care of them. To qualify for the Attendance Allowance you need to be physically or mentally disabled and over the State Pension age.

Note: Claiming this kind of allowance could also qualify you for increases in other welfare benefits on top.

Carers Allowance

Are you helping to look after someone for at least 35 hours per week? If so, you may get a weekly payment called the Carer’s Allowance benefit.

There is no requirement for the carer to be related to the person being cared for or to live with them. You can help care for more than one person but you would not get paid extra for doing so.

Note: Claiming the Carer’s Allowance can affect other benefits for the carer and the person being taken care of. Any income going over the Personal Allowance would be liable for Income Tax.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

As the name suggests, the Employment and Support Allowance 2021 offers invaluable financial and personalised support for people who are ill or disabled.

The financial support is for people whose illness or disability means they are unable to work. Whereas, the personalised, work-related support helps to create ways for those who can work – to start working and then stay in the workplace.

Note: You might be transferred to ESA if you’ve been claiming other benefits like Income Support or Incapacity Benefit.

Guardian’s Allowance

Bringing up a child whose parents are no longer living may qualify you for the Guardian’s Allowance. In some cases, you can also get this kind of allowance even if there is a surviving parent.

Note: The weekly Guardian’s Allowance rate is a tax-free payment available on top of Child Benefit.

Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

The Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) is an unemployment benefit for those who are trying to find work. Check how to apply for JSA online, how much you can get, and how to avoid having your payment stopped.